Adopting Ghana

Ghana: Day Ten

In Journal Entries, Photography on October 27, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I had a rough morning taking photos and video of scholarship kids. To say “the sun was hot” so close to the equator is to engage in spouting tautologies.  I was grumpy from the intensity of the heat and my inability to get the kids to stay lined up in one place. I was also beginning to realize there was still a lot left to be accomplished with this little photography/videography project.

We got halfway through the lower grades but by noon I began to suffer heat exhaustion despite all the water I was drinking.  A short break turned into my own private ER with a fan blowing cool air on me and me guzzling water with German Gatorade powder mixed in. I took a nap or two to get my strength back.

When I woke up and went outside, I was asked to come to Kingsley’s office. A boy named Samuel Ado was very sick with headache and fever. I took him to the infirmary and found he had a temperature of 105.3° F!  Enoch, for the second day, had a fever also.  For Samuel, I got Tylenol and water into him. Patience and I regularly doused him with water for a couple of hours.

For Enoch, earlier in the day I had texted and talked on the phone with Dr. Curzon, a Stateside parent of a child adopted from Luckyhill, and Becky, a nurse in the States who is in the process of adopting.  They gave me info on how to examine and diagnose Enoch.  After following their instructions, indications pointed to appendicitis, but a radiology scan would be necessary to fully determine this.  Ugh. We made plans to take him to the clinic tonight or tomorrow morning.  Probably tomorrow morning by the looks of Kingsley’s schedule.

We finally got Samuel’s temperature down below 100 around 6pm.  His father had arrived to bring him home even though I recommended he stay here with the boy so we could keep him under observation and intervene if his fever spiked again.  Because of his father’s insistence to the contrary, I gave him instructions on how to care for this kind of fever, including the convulsions that might occur if it stayed too high for too long, and sent them home with enough Tylenol to get them through the night.

Then, Esther, the caregiver whose baby had fever and cough a couple of nights before, presented with 102° F fever.  Patience soaked her down and we gave her Tylenol enough to get her temperature below 100°.  Then Patience stayed in her bed with her to take care of her the rest of the night.  I don’t know what I would have done without this aptly named young woman to help me today.

Seth had another crying jag tonight. But I’m onto him now.  He does it mostly when he wants something and I tell him “no” or “wait until later”. Tonight I just told him “no” and my reasons (he wanted the flashlight but it was late and time for sleep). He finally laid down and went to sleep. Hurt me more than it hurt him to have to tell him no.

I talked on Kingsley’s phone to one of our Luckyhill friends in the U.S.  She and Kingsley have taken to calling me “Dr. Watson” because of all the impromptu doctoring I’ve been doing.  We discovered how remarkable it was that whenever I haven’t had the benefit of asking a question of Dr. Curzon or Becky about what to do, so much of the knowledge I’ve needed has come to me as direct, personal revelation from Heaven.  Things I never knew and were right have come into my mind right when they were necessary.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: